Monday, July 14, 2008

Its easy. I like all things that are lovely. However, that doesn't mean that I waltz around in a foofy georgette gown everyday with super poofy sleeves while drinking tea amongst my perfectly pruned flowering bushes (I do secretly wish I could though). Lovely is in the eye of the beholder. I love the irreverent, the funky, and the slightly strange as well. But I also believe in the value of having wonderful, lovely things in your every day life. These, in the following posts, are my favorite things.

Michael Kors at ShopStyle

1. Breezy loveliness--I am currently having waaaayy too much fun with ShopStyle. I have been loving this dress from Anthropologie for too long. I've even chosen it as my future bridesmaid dress--and I should get one for myself, too!

2. Movies. I am craving some quality time with Shelley Long and Rusty Tamblyn. Something about that Phyllis Nefler is magical! Maybe its her ice cream dress that she wears when she falls into the pool.



3. Its getting a little late in the summer season to bring them up, but OH MY! LILACS....
we have a lilac tree in my parents back yard and when my sister wasn't building tropical Barbie nudist camps, it provided the most wonderful refuge. The smell is intoxicating.


4. Potatoes and bacon! My best friend Kate always says that she thinks that people that used to be vegetarians seem to become obsessed with bacon. I, for one, agree. I think I am going to have this for dinner:



(From COOKIE magazine and Epicurious.com)
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 pounds red bliss or Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut into small chunks
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste

1. In a heavy skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the fat and return the pan to high heat.
3. Add the potatoes, white scallions (if using), garlic, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the potatoes are just tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Add the bacon, broken into pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes more.
6. Remove from heat, garnish with the green scallions (if using), and serve.


Mmmmmm.. I think tomorrow will be a dessert day.


No comments: